By Robert Knowlton
A few weeks ago I got a phone call from a fellow asking about Success Coaching. He wanted to know if coaching could really help him achieve success.
Experience tells me the answer is "yes." In the 3 1/2 years I have been a professional Success
Coach (and the 20 years of study and work experience to get here!), I have found some
particularly powerful routes on the Success map. They seem quite straight-forward, though this
doesn’t mean it’s an easy trip. You can have a map and know the path but if you never take the
trip, you won’t get to the destination.
Here are five routes on the success map, to help you on your journey in business and in life. Your coach’s job is to help navigate and work with you to:
1. Know what you want. For some of you this may sound basic. You might say "I want money" or "I want success." However, the key here is to be very specific about what you want. For
example, "I want a 20% increase in net profit" vs. "I want higher profits."
2. Have a clear purpose. Know the reason for which something is being done.
3. Understand and use intent. Intent is one of the most underrated aspects of success. Your
actions have to be packed with intent -- is your mind concentrated, firmly resolved on a purpose? Out of intent is born will. It’s a process of exercising the mind with conscious intention towards initiating a chosen action, i.e., set your goal, see it complete, and go!
4. Establish commitment. This is the action of binding yourself to a course of action. Dedication is part of this. You may not know what to do but if you are committed to being successful, you’ll find out how!
5. Clearly articulate how your service, product, or experience will benefit you, others, the
world. I call this "knowing your story." Until you really know your story, it is difficult to enroll others. It doesn’t matter what you are presenting: financial services, healthcare, cars, or software. You need to convincingly express the value of what you do.
It doesn’t matter what area of life you choose. Business, family, community, social. If you want to reach the destination of success, this map will help take you there.
Take this self test. Choose a specific context (business, relationships, family, etc.):
|Do you know specifically what you want?|
|Is there a purpose or reason for doing it? |
|Is there clear intention of action?|
|Are you truly committed?|
|Have you clearly articulated the benefits to yourself and others?
If there’s something missing or you find yourself with a flat tire, seem to be driving around in circles, or running out of gas, a Coach may be able to get you back on your road to success.
The trained eyes and ears of a good Coach help you see where you are on your journey. They’ll
assist you to clarify your direction, layout the route, encourage intentional action, and get over obstacles. Heading out...destination Success.
©1999, Options Success Coaching and Training
[ICBS Knowledgebase Home]