By Bonnie Lowe
Here's a list of the top 10 tips you can use to advance your career:
1. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know." If you don't know something, say so; don't try to fake it.
2. Take responsibility for your actions. If you're at fault, admit it and take the blame. If you're wrong, apologize.
3. Never gossip. Gossip can hurt the careers of two people: the person being talked about, and the person doing the talking.
4. Never say "That's not my job." Don't think you are above anything. Pitch in and set a good example, especially if the job is one that nobody else wants to do. Your willingness to do so will be noticed and appreciated!
5. Share the credit. People who share credit with others make a much better impression than those who take all the credit themselves.
6. Ask for help when you need it. Don't let a difficult task get out of hand. When you need help, ask for it -- before things get worse.
7. Keep your dislike to yourself. If you don't like someone, don't let it show. Never burn bridges or offend others as you move ahead in your career.
8. Don't hold grudges. Life isn't always fair. If you were passed over for promotion, didn't get the project you wanted, etc., let it go. Be gracious and diplomatic, focus on the future and move on. Harboring grudges won't advance your career.
9. Be humble. When you're right, don't gloat about it. Never say "I told you so!"
10. Make others feel important. Compliment others, emphasize their strengths and contributions, and help them whenever you can. They will
enthusiastically help you in return.
Quiz: Are You a Manager or a Trailblazer?
Ever wonder if you are meant to be in
management forever? Or, do you have what it takes to lead your
organization to victories previously never even dreamed possible?
Here are seven questions to help you rate your leadership skills.
Gracefully Accepting Feedback a Key Employment Skill
Prepare yourself to get the feedback from others that will help you develop yourself into the powerful person you can be at work.
Four Employee Behaviors that can Kill Your Business
Be clear about what you will and won't tolerate in your workplace. You're the boss - set the boundaries.
5 Interviewing Tips To Get That Job
Interviews are the gateway to landing your ideal job. These five tips will help you get own your way to making that job yours.
Top Ten Ways to Improve Your Communication Skills
Good listening skills take practice. Specific coaching may be necessary if you find you have communication issues with your boss, colleagues, subordinates, partners or personal relationships.
101: Nine Ways to Transform You From Mediocre to Magnificent
Regardless of the number of college credits or degrees you have, the truth is that much of your success is determined by your attitude. Education is worthwhile but a good attitude is priceless.